We are searching for a full-time, Master’s level Clinician, Extended Services Supervisor for the Massachusetts Substance Use Helpline and the Illinois Substance Use Helpline (Helplines). This is an exciting opportunity to share addiction expertise while gaining a deeper understanding of substance use and related systems in both states, through client interaction, staff supervision, and program administration. There will also be significant opportunities to contribute to project development for both Helplines.
The Massachusetts Substance Use Helpline provides free and confidential information and referrals for alcohol and other drug abuse problems and related concerns. The Helpline is committed to linking consumers with comprehensive, accurate, and current information about treatment, prevention, and recovery services throughout Massachusetts. HRiA has also launched a substance use helpline for the state of Illinois. The IL Helpline focuses on increasing opioid treatment access and reducing opioid related death in Illinois through comprehensive information and referral services.
The Clinician, Extended Services Supervisor will be a part of a four-person supervisory team made up of Clinicians and other Supervisors, and will be responsible for assisting our Screening & Information Specialists (SIS), who take calls and respond to chat inquiries, assess needs, and identify and provide appropriate substance use information and referrals. Supervisors help SIS with complex, difficult, or emergency calls to the Helpline. Supervisors are also responsible for taking incoming Helpline calls or chat inquiries as needed. The Clinician, Extended Services Supervisor will be one of the Helpline Clinicians responsible for conducting follow-up calls to selected Helpline callers and chat visitors. Each Clinician or Supervisor will supervise one to five SIS, including providing bi-weekly supervision sessions, approving time sheets for payroll, serving as on-call supervisor as assigned for emergencies, and assisting in creating and updating weekly work schedules with consideration for staff availability. Clinicians and Supervisors will also serve as shift supervisors for all SIS while they are working. Clinician and Supervisor duties include monitoring SIS calls, consulting with SIS and intervening during difficult calls, and leading group supervision for SIS. Supervisors will also provide on-going training to SIS through periodic in-service trainings on relevant topics.
The Clinician, Extended Services Supervisor will also be responsible for managing Helpline extended services, in collaboration with Helpline management. We define extended services as follow-up services, feedback processes, and online chat. These services are extensions of and enhancements to our core Helpline phone services. Management of these services includes ensuring that follow-up calls are assigned and completed, and monitoring follow-up quality, needs, and processes. The Helplines collect feedback from callers and chat visitors, and the Clinician, Extended Services Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing this process and working with other Helpline staff, Supervisors, and management to meet feedback goals. The Clinician, Extended Services Supervisor will also monitor chat Helpline chat services, including service quality, processes, and protocols. This position will report to the Associate Director of Information &Referral Services. This is an exempt, full-time position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate assignment and completion of follow-up calls.
• Monitor and contribute to improvement of processes for follow-up, feedback, and chat services.
• Track feedback and follow-up outcomes, collaborate on opportunities for improvement.
• Observe and supervise Massachusetts Helpline chat services and processes.
• Communicate and collaborate with Helpline management to improve and enhance Helpline extended services.
• Advise SIS on appropriate referral/treatment options.
• Follow-up with selected Helpline users, with consent, to ensure referral success.
• Participate in on-call rotation for overnight and weekend supervisory coverage, as needed.
• Answer and respond to Helpline inquiries via phone and chat, and provide information and referral services.
• Supervise assigned SIS staff, and act as shift supervisor for SIS while on duty.
• Approve staff timesheets and schedules.
• Monitor SIS calls and Helpline call center metrics.
• Consult with SIS and intervene on complex or difficult calls/cases.
• Provide in-service training for SIS on a range of topics, such as: the disease of addiction, managing crises, addiction treatment options, and dual diagnosis concerns, among others.
• Perform monthly case reviews with SIS.
• Contribute to SIS yearly performance evaluations with the Helpline Project Manager.
• Master’s degree in social work, clinical or counseling psychology, psychiatric nursing, or other mental health field. Any professional licenses or certifications must be current and maintained.
• Minimum five years of clinical or case management experience.
• Demonstrated experience and ability to supervise staff.
• Exhibits competency in:
o Assessment and evaluation of patients with mental health or substance abuse issues
o Crisis intervention and management
o Addictions treatment
• Certified Information & Referral Specialist (through AIRS) preferred or willingness to obtain within one year of hire.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, high stress environment.
• Customer/client focused with strong computer skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Openness to information that may be different from personal views.
• Willingness to work with callers who may be ambivalent, resistant, impaired, or have psychological disorders.
• Openness to a variety of treatment services based on individuals’ needs.
• Respectful of cultural differences, and values diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives.
• High ethical standard and a willingness to comply with professional expectations.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
• Previous experience with or willingness to learn to use computer for data recording and database searching.
• Demonstrated history of dependability.
• Demonstrated pleasant telephone voice and helpful manner.
• Two years of sobriety requested for people in recovery.
• Telephone service delivery experience preferred.
Training in addiction, screening, interviewing, treatment services, and resources is provided. Hours for this position may be flexible, and the position may include weekend or overnight on-call duties. The MA Helpline is open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 10:00 pm and weekends and holidays 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. The IL Helpline, during its initial implementation, will be open 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of work duties that will be required in this position. It is not intended to limit, or in any way modify, the rights of any supervisor to assign, direct, and contract work of staff under his/her supervision. The use of a particular illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties, not mentioned, that are of a similar level or difficulty
How to Apply:
HRiA is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced staff. The organization encourages multiple perspectives and experiences, supports a multicultural environment, and strives to hire and retain a diverse work force that reflects the populations we work with and the communities where we work. Diversity is a core value of HRiA resulting in culturally competent services, materials, resources, and programs. Our hiring and business practices appreciate the strengths offered through different backgrounds.
HRiA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Health Resources in Action offers an attractive benefits package including medical, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, tax-deferred annuity, and generous vacation.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume online.
* NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE, if you have a question please click the button below*