We are seeking bilingual (English/Spanish) Screening and Information Specialists (SIS) for the Massachusetts Substance Use Helpline and the Illinois Opioid and Other Drug Helpline. SIS must be able to establish rapport with callers, elicit relevant information, effectively communicate by phone and online chat, gather and record data, accurately assess Helpline users’ needs, provider referrals to appropriate services, and motivate and support them to follow through with accessing substance abuse and related services. This is a part time, non-exempt position.
The Massachusetts Substance Use Helpline provides free and confidential information and referrals for alcohol and other drug use problems and related concerns. The Helpline is committed to linking consumers with comprehensive, accurate, and current information about treatment, prevention, and recovery services throughout Massachusetts. The Illinois Opioid and Other Drug Helpline is a new project focusing on increasing opioid treatment access and reducing opioid related death in Illinois. When launched, the IL Helpline will provide free and confidential information and referrals for opioid and other drug use problems and related concerns. The Helpline is committed to linking consumers with comprehensive, accurate, and current information about treatment, prevention, and recovery services throughout Illinois.
Helpline SIS are responsible for responding to incoming calls and chat messages from individuals seeking information about and assistance with accessing substance use services for themselves, a family member or friend, and/or a client. SIS are responsible for assessing Helpline users’ needs, determining the most appropriate substance use prevention, treatment, and/or recovery support service options, identifying available options (through the Helpline’s database), and referring callers to those services. The SIS provides accurate information, education, support, and referrals in a non-judgmental, respectful, and culturally competent manner. SIS positions are hourly and part-time positions are available. SIS working more than 17.5 hours per week (half-time or greater) are eligible for HRiA benefits. This is a non-exempt, part-time position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess the needs of Helpline users by telephone and online chat, and provide appropriate information and referrals to substance use and related services.
- Reliably staff the Helpline phone and chat lines as scheduled.
- Engage and motivate users to follow through on referrals through use of active listening and motivational interviewing techniques.
- Obtain feedback on interactions with Helpline users.
- Provide service availability information and other provider details through approved sources.
- Gather and record data from users in Helpline database.
- Verify users’ insurance status, as applicable.
- Consistently attend and actively participate in Helpline meetings and periodic in-service trainings.
- Escalate calls or chat interactions to Helpline clinicians and/or supervisor when applicable.
Additional responsibilities as needed:
- Assist in the training and mentoring of new Helpline staff.
- Assist in updating Helpline database of state licensed and approved substance use prevention, treatment, and recovery support services.
- Assist in scheduling of SIS to ensure proper phone and chat coverage.
- Represent the Helpline at outreach events, meetings, and/or presentations.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Certified Information & Referral Specialist (through AIRS) preferred or willingness to obtain within one year of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or related field and at least 2 years of experience, or 6 years of experience in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
- Experience in information and referral services, customer service, counseling, substance abuse, or human services required.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high stress environment.
- Customer/client focused with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good computer skills and experience and/or ability to use online systems and databases.
- Openness to information that may be different from personal views.
- Willingness to work with callers who may be ambivalent, resistant, impaired or have psychological disorders.
- Must be open to providing information about a variety of treatment options and paths to recovery based on a caller’s needs.
- Must be respectful of cultural differences and value diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives.
- Must have high ethical standards and a willingness to comply with professional expectations.
- Demonstrated history of dependability needed.
- Two years of sobriety requested for people in recovery.
- Preference will be given to applicants with flexible or weekday availability
Training in addiction, screening, interviewing, treatment services, and resources is provided. Hours for this position may be flexible. The Massachusetts Substance Use Helpline is open Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 10:00PM. Saturday and Sunday 8:00 am-6:00 pm. The Illinois Opioid and Other Drug Helpline (IL Helpline) is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of work duties that will be required in this position. It is not intended to limit, or in any way modify, the rights of any supervisor to assign, direct, and contract work of staff under his/her supervision. The use of a particular illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties, not mentioned, that are of a similar level or difficulty.
How to Apply:
HRiA is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced staff. HRiA encourages multiple perspectives and experiences, supports a multicultural environment, and strives to hire and retain a diverse work force that reflects the populations we work with and the communities where we work. Diversity is a core value of HRiA resulting in culturally competent services, materials, resources, and programs. Our hiring and business practices appreciate the strengths offered through different backgrounds.
Health Resources in Action offers an attractive benefits package, including medical, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, tax-deferred annuity, and generous vacation.
To apply, submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements
* NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE, if you have a question please click the button below*