We are seeking a full-time Senior Director, Marketing who will provide strategic vision and leadership to HRiA’s organizational marketing efforts. This is a new position and an exciting opportunity to contribute to a dynamic, growing public health organization committed to health and racial equity.
HRiA is a rapidly growing, dynamic social change consulting organization. HRiA’s core services currently comprise several clusters: capacity building assistance, grantmaking, research and evaluation, public health services, and health and racial equity.
HRiA offers exciting, engaging, and challenging employment opportunities for researchers, facilitators, analysts, trainers, policy specialists, and more. People come to HRiA because of our commitment to social justice and health equity, our wonderful clients and partners, and our dedicated and dynamic staff. People stay at HRiA because of our collaborative approach to problem solving, our friendly work environment, and our commitment to providing employees with challenging and exciting professional opportunities.
Equity & Inclusion are core values of our organization. Our hiring and business practices appreciate the strengths offered through varied backgrounds. As public health practitioners with a social justice focus, we are committed to better understanding and learning from the institutional structures that create disparities among us and our work. We are actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced staff. We provide an energizing and supportive environment in which to work and to build a career.
The Senior Director, Marketing is a new position being created at the organization to provide strategic leadership in marketing for our current efforts and the HRiA of the future. This person will help collaboratively develop and implement HRiA’s organizational marketing and visibility strategy and provide high-level management and guidance to new business development.
The Senior Director, Marketing is expected to be a strategic thinker with expertise in marketing and communications, a strong leader and manager, entrepreneurial, and committed to health and racial equity. Central to the Senior Director’s role will be (1) developing and leading the overall organizational marketing vision and strategy for the organization; (2) providing leadership to HRiA’s current brand refresh process and ensure consistency on brand implementation by working with program staff across HRiA’s matrixed organization; (3) overseeing internal and external marketing and communications strategies and marketing channels, including website and blog, social media, video, audio, digital tools, briefs, and other publications; (4) managing 3.0 FTE staff within the New Business and Marketing team to bolster HRiA’s marketing and communications efforts and ensure alignment with new business development activities; and (5) building trusting relationships with HRiA program staff as well as external partners to advance organizational communication efforts.
This is a full-time, exempt position. The Senior Director, Marketing will be supervised by a Vice President and work collaboratively with the HRiA President/CEO, Vice Presidents and senior leaders, and staff across the organization.
For this position, Greater Boston area residency is preferred, but not required. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, HRiA has adopted a “hybrid” work environment, enabling staff to work remotely and/or in the Boston office (for those whose vaccinations are up to date). The Senior Director can work remotely, as approved by their supervisor. Occasional travel to the Boston office is required.
The salary range for this position starts in the mid-$110,000’s, based on skills and experience, and is commensurate with experience. Health Resources in Action offers an attractive benefits package including medical, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, tax-deferred annuity, and generous annual vacation that starts at four weeks in addition to three weeks of annual sick time, 13 paid holidays, plus office closure time during the last week of December.
Duties and Responsibilities:
While this position will be involved in a variety of tasks, primary duties will include:
Leadership and Management
- Collaboratively develop and oversee HRiA’s organizational marketing vision and strategy.
- Build relationships and work with staff and partners to identify and implement new marketing opportunities.
- Oversee the New Business and Marketing team, including managing a growing team of 3.0 FTE staff and departmental activities such as budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Participate in HRiA’s Senior Leadership Team (includes CEO, VPs, and Managing/Senior Directors).
Branding, Marketing Systems, and Metrics
- Provide brand leadership, ensuring consistency across organizational project portfolio and communications.
- Oversee internal and external marketing projects including work planning, internal coordination, oversight of consultants, and budget and staff management.
- Identify opportunities to improve effectiveness and efficiency in marketing systems and processes.
- Incorporate marketing insights to inform marketing strategy and implementation.
- Lead processes for ongoing website enhancements, content development, and improvements, including upcoming web redesign project for the organization.
- Provide leadership to develop and execute HRiA’s social media strategy.
- Oversee email marketing activities such as newsletters.
- Identify new formats for communicating about HRiA’s mission, best practices, and lessons learned for the field (e.g., video, podcasts, etc.).
- Ensure strategic alignment between marketing efforts and new business development, in coordination with Associate Director of Development and staff across the organization.
- Provide high-level management and guidance to new business development staff and initiatives.
- Provide support on specific new business development activities, where appropriate.
- Conceptualize and develop HRiA-branded products (e.g., practice briefs, white papers, videos) in coordination with subject matter experts.
- Lead the development of content for a variety of audiences, channels, and formats, such as blog posts, social media posts, practice briefs, and internal newsletters for HRiA staff.
- Support professional development in marketing topics for HRiA staff, including preparation for professional conferences, media engagement, and other visibility events.
- Identify additional marketing audiences, channels, and activities to build HRiA’s visibility and thought leadership.
- 10+ years’ professional experience in marketing or communications in a leadership capacity.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree, preferably in marketing or communications, or a related field, with experience in or strong commitment to becoming well-versed in topics of public health and racial equity.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Expertise in and a commitment to health and racial equity and a strong understanding of the root causes of inequities and racism as a public health crisis.
- Knowledge of emerging trends, challenges, and best practices in public health, health care, community development, and/or health and racial equity.
- Strong staff and project management skills, including ability to plan and anticipate activities and tasks, and meet milestones and deliverables on time, as demonstrated through applicable work experience.
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
- Understanding of design for effective communication; experience in design platforms such as Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- A commitment to health and racial equity and addressing racism as a public health crisis.
- A commitment to valuing diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives.
- Strong entrepreneurial skills and ability to work and think strategically and creatively to identify and pursue opportunities to increase impact.
- Creative thinking and willingness to consider and explore various options for achieving an objective or understanding and resolving a challenge.
- A commitment to excellence in products, processes, and outcomes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking, active listening, writing, and interpersonal engagement.
- Ability to encourage, inspire, and mentor staff and colleagues for collective and strategic action.
- A collaborative work approach and ability to work effectively with people representing a range of backgrounds, levels of training, professional and lived experience, and career stages.
- A healthy sense of humor and the ability to work with grace under pressure.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of work duties that will be required in this position. It is not intended to limit, or in any way modify, the rights of any supervisor to assign, direct, and contract work of staff under his/her supervision. The use of a particular illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties, not mentioned, that are of a similar level or difficulty.
How to Apply:
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume online. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Describe your commitment to health and racial equity.
- Describe your supervision and team leadership experience.
HRiA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
* NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE, if you have a question please click the button below*