We are seeking a Web Developer to apply technical expertise and creativity to deliver high quality products to our Health Resources in Action clients.
Health Resources in Action (HRiA) provides consulting services to government agencies, healthcare institutions, philanthropic foundations, nonprofit organizations, and other entities. Many of these consulting projects include developing and maintaining websites, developing interactive tools, and supporting online learning management systems. Examples of this work include the MA Substance Use Helpline and the Community Health Training Institute. The Web Developer will be an essential part of HRiA’s work. This person will work with the Director of Technology on web projects including dozens of client web properties and HRiA’s own digital properties. Most work will be performed independently, but at times this person will work closely with HRiA project teams on planning and execution. The Web Developer should be experienced and comfortable juggling a variety of projects simultaneously from start to finish.
The position is ideal for a self-starter who has strong technical skills and a creative mindset. This position will be categorized as being at an Associate Level (Level 3) or Manager Level (Level 4a) at HRiA, depending on experience. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and starts in the mid to high 50’s to mid 70’s, depending on experience.
The Web Developer position applies technical expertise and creativity to deliver high quality products to our Health Resources in Action clients. In addition to supporting HRiA’s own website, they will work on client projects from federal, state, and local funders which must meet all accessibility and coding standards. This is an exempt, full- time position that either can be based in the Boston office or fully remote anywhere in the U.S.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Determining the structure and direction of web properties, both for client projects and HRiA web properties.
• Ensuring the best user experience using available tools and within budget constraints.
• Developing features to enhance the user experience.
• Striking a balance between functional and aesthetic design.
• Building web pages and code that meet both WCAG and Federal accessibility standards.
• Building reusable code for future use.
• Optimizing web pages for maximum speed and scalability.
• Maintaining brand consistency through design.
• Working collaboratively with internal project teams, where appropriate, on project planning and implementation.
• Providing subject matter expertise to clients.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of work duties that will be required in this position. It is not intended to limit, or in any way modify, the rights of any supervisor to assign, direct, and contract work of staff under their supervision. The use of a particular illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties, not mentioned, that are of a similar level or difficulty.
• Understanding of key design principles
• Understanding of federal accessibility standards or WCAG 2.1 standards
• Development experience with open source CMSs, WordPress, Drupal, Joomla
• Experience with responsive and adaptive design.
• Understanding of SEO principles.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects (working both independently and cross- departmentally), problem solve, and to be solution-oriented.
• A commitment to value diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives.
• Desire to provide thought leadership around innovative digital strategy solutions for HRiA and its clients – to identify new opportunities and make them happen.
• Understanding of different frameworks (Angular, React, Bootstrap, Etc.)
• Interest in social sector, public health and/or health communications.
• Degree in Computer Science or Related Field
• Experience with state and federal web contracts
• Experience working with remote teams
• Experience managing and working with vendors
• IT experience
• Graphic design experience
How to Apply:
HRiA is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced staff. HRiA encourages multiple perspectives and experiences, supports a multicultural environment, and strives to hire and retain a diverse work force that reflects the populations we work with and the communities where we work. Diversity is a core value of HRiA resulting in culturally competent services, materials, resources, and programs. Our hiring and business practices appreciate the strengths offered through different backgrounds.
HRiA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume online.
No agencies will be considered for this position.
* NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE, if you have a question please click the button below*